Monday, July 11, 2011

It is all in the way you look at things ....

I was having a conversation with someone the other day when I mentioned that I have been on a creativity kick recently.

I have discovered articles and resources that seem to share the creativity them (I have also shared a lot of those on twitter and on my blog). In the conversation, I mentioned that in my mind, creativity skills and critical thinking skills are very much alike and could even be considered the same thing in many ways.

The other person in the conversation said that she was not sure that she agree that those skills are very similar. She said that she considers herself to have many critical thinking skills, but does not feel she has creative thinking skills.

My response was, "It is all in the way you look at things."

Now this is just my opinion based on the things I have read and experienced:
  • When you think critically about something, you have to step outside the box and look at the situation from many perspectives while realizing the impact those perspectives could have on your interpretation.
  • When you thinking creatively about something, you have to step outside the box and look at the situation from many perspectives to try to identify all the possibilities ... even the ones that may not be apparent to everyone.
Now I know my two definitions above are not exactly the same (I tend to be a bit wordy when trying to describe something) but they do share the same basic ideas.

Here are a few of the resources I have found that I think are related to creativity/critical thinking skills:
I will end with something I saw on twitter the other day:

from : Creativity is experimenting, playing, innovating, thinking, connecting, looking at different perspectives, problem solving, etc

image from http://www.flickr.com/photos/71221880@N00/149885028/ by doozle who said about his artwork: I'm fond of M. Escher work.
This is based upon one of his most famous lithographs.



No comments: