Thursday, March 27, 2014

It Started With a Tweet ...

One day on Twitter I came across this Tweet:

I thought this was interesting and I wanted to see what I could do to help find out some information about the feather.

Did you know that you can search by images in Google? 

I saved a copy of the feather picture to my computer. Then I went to Google Images and clicked on the camera in the search box. Then I dragged a copy of the picture into the search box (I could also upload the image). The first things that were related to the image search was Mrs. Yollis blogpost's about this feather. Her blogpost is located here: Mrs. Yollis' Classroom Blog.  

Then I typed "what bird is this feather from?" in the search box next to the image of the feather. The first thing to come up on my search page was The Feather Atlas

Score! 

I clicked on Identify Feather; clicked on Get Started; and then choose the pattern and color. As I scrolled through, there were several feathers that looked like the picture above. I am still not exactly sure what bird this feather belongs to, but it could be of an owl or hawk. 

So, I tweeted back to Mrs. Yollis (@lindayollis) the link to The Feather Atlas so her class could continue their detective work.

What bird do you think the feather comes from?

No comments: