Friday, July 13, 2012

Learning in a Shed?

When you hear the word shed, what do you think of?

I admit, when I hear shed, I don't generally think of interesting things ....

But all that changed when I found The Literacy Shed!

I think the description of The Adventure Shed says it all:
Welcome to a little shed
that opens up when you get inside! 

So The Literacy Shed is really more than just one shed .... and each shed has its own unique personality, look, and inspiration!
Here are a few of the sheds you can find inside The Literacy Shed:
  • The Thinking Shed
  • The Fairy Tale Shed
  • The Inventor's Shed
  • The Picture Book Shed
  • The Mystery Shed
  • The Flying Books Shed
  • The Great Animations Shed
You just never know what is going be in the shed once you walk through the door ...
  • The Literacy Shed is home to a wealth of visual resources that I have collected over my 10 year career as a primary school teacher.   I trawl youtube, vimeo and other sites looking for suitbale resources to use in the sheds. The sheds are broadly thematic but sometimes a resource could go in 2 or more sheds, I slot it in where I think it works best.
    Most of the resources can be used in KS1 and KS2 but some do lend themselves to the upper age group and above. The aim is to provide high quality resources that can be used in stand alone literacy lessons, can form the basis for a whole literacy unit or can support literacy units that you already have in place.   With the many book based activities I would advocate using the book alongside the digital resource.  
I see so many possibilities for reading, writing, thinking, art, and all kinds of literacy that I am having a hard time choosing my favorite shed and favorite activity ...

They all look really neat too!

Which is your favorite shed?

If you could create your own shed, what would it look like and what would it contain?

 image from The Literacy Shed

1 comment:

@phani said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.