Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tiki-Toki Makes Timelines Fun Again

Thanks to Tiki-Toki, this is the first time in a long time I've been excited about timelines. I first came across Tiki-Toki in a Simple K12 webinar a few weeks ago. Immediately I was drawn to the bright colors, easy to read pop up panels (no more squinting to read tiny windows), and the user friendly editing tools. Tiki-Toki offers a free basic account that allows you to add videos and images with a simple mouse click. In addition, you can change the background picture of your timeline to match your topic. Since they integrated Flickr, YouTube, and Vimeo, finding content to add to your timeline is simple. While creating your masterpiece, you can share it with others, making collaborating easier.

Unfortunately, not all things are perfect when dealing with free web based tools. With the free basic account, you are limited to one timeline and you cannot embed it into a website. However, upgraded plans start out at $5.00/month. I did email Tiki-Toki's team and voiced my concerns about this. Offering a free educator account would be ideal and I'll be happy to share their response once I hear back from them.

No comments: