- An effective online teacher must be able to facilitate interaction and act as a motivator, guide, mentor and listener to the students.
- An effective online teacher needs to be responsive to student and parent questions by maintaining open communication.
- An effective online teacher must know web-based technologies that provide collaborative learning for the students.
- An effective online teacher must be knowledgeable in synchronous and asynchronous instruction.
In addition to the above skills iNACOL also looked at what communication practices and policies help to make a successful online school. The report focused on three types of communication:
- Communication between teachers and students.
- Communication between teachers and parents.
- Communication between students.
- Online teachers need to be multifaceted, facilitating instruction through synchronous and asynchronous technology. Teachers need to also provide tutoring to students, lead discussions, and evaluate student activities.
- Online teachers need to utilize online communication, email and phone calls as needed.
Strong Communication is Key to Successful Online Learning
Posted October 6, 2009, by Allison Powell at iNACOL