Certainly students enjoy school better and learn more when they are being taught in ways that respond to their readiness levels, interests, and learning profiles. Teachers can better meet these needs by changing four elements of their instruction: content, process, product, and learning environment. Teachers can differentiate their instruction by changing some of their instructional strategies, management strategies and including software applications, video streaming, the Internet and other technology resources. Differentiated Instruction should include digital-age literacy, inventive thinking, effective communication, and high productivity which should lead to better student achievement.
Teachers can better understand their students by doing interest inventories, surveys, observations or interviews. You can check out:
- Survey Monkey at http://www.surveymonkey.com/
- Free Online Surveys at http://www.freeonlinesurveys.com/
- Zoomerang at http://www.zoomerang.com/.
- Tic-tac-toe board of activities where students choose to demonstrate their understanding of a topic by making a choice from the board. To learn more about tic-tac-toe boards go to http://daretodifferentiate.wikispaces.com/Choice+Boards.
- I-Search Unit – http://www2.edc.org/fsc/mih/i-search.html1
- I-Search Curriculum Unit – http://www.literacymatters.org/content/isearch/intro.htm
- Webbe template and storyboard – http://www.everythingdi.net/docs/webbetemplateJan152009.pdf
- WebQuest page – http://webquest.org/
- Pre-Writing a Webquest – http://tommarch.com/learn-ing/prewrite.php
- WebQuest Maker – http://www.teach-nology.com/web_tools/web_quests/
- R.A.F.T.T. stands for:
- Role – the role of the character
- Audience – audience for the product
- Format – the way a student choose to show their understanding
- Topic – the final product: who, what, when where, how
- Technology – software application used by the student
- What is R.A.F.T.T. –http://olc.spsd.sk.ca/DE/PD/instr/strats/raft/
For more information about differentiating instruction using technology go to http://everything-di.blogspot.com/.